Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Pantry - A penny saved...

I’m sure you’ve heard the famous quote by Ben Franklin, “A penny saved is a penny earned.” But, what does it really mean? I have read about a dozen or so ideas about this…and really nothing hits the mark like my own experience. So…let’s take a look at my... pantry.

Hmmm……..standing there it looks …kind of …full and …the attempts at organization are there…sort of. No real flashy packaging and a lot of items stored in Rubbermaid containers with little labels on them. But…let me tell you - this is a treasure trove of savings!!

Did you know that the food budget is a family’s second or third major monthly expense? And it also is the easiest place to save money. Saving money can even become a fun game of challenge and strategy each week. Our family of 6 (includes two hungry teenagers and a preteen) can easily live on less than $100 a week for groceries – most of the time I spend about $360 a month or less including toiletry items. Yes, I’m talking about today – not five or even 10 years ago. (Maybe I should interject here that one of my favorite books is The Tightwad Gazette and one of my favorite interests is seeing how well we can live on less. This did come about by necessity in the early years, but now is a real full-fledged hobby!)

I don’t like sacrificing quality and you won’t have to either, but you will have to alter the way you buy your groceries. Saving time is also a great factor to me – and let’s face it – it has to be easy or I won’t stick with it. If you are an avid menu planner – this plan will shake you up a bit. I don’t plan my menus first and then shop…but that’s for later. This is about strategy…arming you with money saving techniques that will save you big $$$ at the grocery store.

Here’s something to whet your appetite for savings: Let’s say your weekly food budget is $180. Saving only $15 a week equals a yearly savings of $780 a year (maybe that new sewing machine you’ve been wanting?). Let’s say you put into practice some of my tips – and are able to save even more or half. That would net you $4680 that you didn’t have before (and no part time job for this either). I know this sounds a bit like an infomercial, but it really is biblical - and it will take some effort.

While it is God that prospers us, He does expect us to do our part. Proverbs gives us some great advice: “He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread.” (Pro. 28:19).He also expects us to wisely provide for our families by watching the busy little ant. “Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways and be wise: Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest” (Pro. 6:6-8). In the passage found in Matthew 25:26-29, we are encouraged to be good stewards (managers) of what God has provideth for us. So....“Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded” (II Chron.15:7).

Sound…interesting? Check back in the next few days for more.

Lori

PS. You may want to check out a few websites while waiting for the next post.
www.mygrocerydeals.com (get the latest flier prices from your local grocery store)
www.smartsource.com (get the latest coupons)
www.couponmom.com (this site has a lot of 'free offers' you have to navigate through before getting to the coupons - just so you know)

1 comment:

Grove Family Homeschool said...

I'm eager for more! Keep writing!!