Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cleaning Day - Dust Busters


This was written when my kids were small and illustrates a "typical cleaning day"(sort of - it didn't always end this sweet way!)with children.

I sat diligently working out my strategy, planning my attack and counter-attack. I was heavily armed - weapons at my side - ready for action! My squadron had just been called to active duty. This was high alert! The activity (that is, the outside activity scheduled at our home this evening)has just been changed to an indoor event! Call out the troops! This is no ordinary job - this is a job for the "Dust Busters"! They came from all corners of the house at the sound of the trumpet (that's what my youngest son said I sounded like - I'm sure he didn't mean melodious either). The reports came in - m e s s - HUGE MESS on third floor (otherwise known as the attic.) Hmmmmmmmm....this report comes in quite often, but the culprits have yet to be located. Whenever asked, "Who did this?" it seems Ida Know and Nobody get the votes hands-down!. OK - mess in the attic - can we pinpoint the trouble areas and target them for action?...er...the WHOLE attic is a mess? But I was just up there yesterday...Okay, Joel and Annie go up first and put your toys away...where they belong, in the right places, not stuffed in corners or under the couch. I want it done right!

Next report...kitchen! Hmmmmmmmm...from the looks of it Someone has been here - perhaps baking. Bowls with chocolate somewhat scraped from the sides, spoons with ooey-gooey stuff strewn about. Ah huh! Crumbs...brownie crumbs. I am quickly writing down my detective report. Someone didn't clean up, wipe up and put away after baking...Someone was b-u-s-y. Someone needed to be located and put to work. This particular Someone was summoned to attend to "forgotten" matters and upon arrival she was handed her weapons: dish cloth, towel, broom and dustpan. Area 2 was now covered.

Third alert now coming in...b-b-bathrooms? I hate to ask. Sounds like someone small did this deed. Toilet paper all over the floor, paper from the garbage can strewn all over. Okay, got it...ooh...bubble bath...on the floor, powder? - where? Th-that's enough! Sigh! Get the mop, the rags, the disinfectant spray, the bucket and a bag. To your duty at once!

That's four "Dust Busters" at their posts...one left! I turned around - my files that I had neatly piled on the floor were now strewn in an amazing array...all over my the dining room floor. Pencils and pens lay everywhere...startled at the next crash of objects I turned around...Ah huh! The culprit is still at it..caught red-handed! Gracey!! She quickly turned around, her pudgy little hand still clutching the next barrage of things to go overboard. A nearly toothless grin spread across her little face, telling me she was having the time of her life!

Maybe it was the sight of colorful dropping objects, or the crashing, banging sounds that fanned her curiosity. Needless to say, this menace needed to be stopped! She was quickly whisked off to the corner, tearfully watching for a ...second. Another loud crash, I whirled around to watch helplessly as my pictures on the coffee table came tumbling down to the floor one after the other. A startled baby began to cry.. all she had really wanted was the lace table runner. I think it's time for a nap.

The "Dust Buster Reports" are beginning to trickle in. The 4 and 6 year old proudly proclaim, "The attic is clean!". My suspicions are mounting! It's only been a few - minutes. The Kitchen Cleaner gives her report - all's well on that front. The Bathroom Cleaner arrives - worn weapons in hand. Battle fatigue is beginning to show. It looks like...yes...the battle has been won! In record time! Our team effort has paid off!

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour" - Ecc. 4:9

Hmmmm....a good reward? See ya at the Dairy Queen!

No comments: