Sunday, August 10, 2008

Organization 101


Back several years ago, we purchased a major renovation project. A home that had so much clutter that several two-ton truck loads were needed to haul it away. That was a real eyeopener and a very graphic illustration as to what can happen when life gets overrun with s-t-u-f-f!! I guess you could say, that was a turning point for me. I am really not a naturally organized person, you might call me an organizing wannabe - I have to work at it! In my quest for order and organization I have discovered it is much easier to manage a small quantity of items than a large quantity. So...get rid of as much clutter as possible! Easier said (or is it easier read) than done! My bookshelves are lined with books on how to declutter, organize and manage my home. But, here's my favorite "way":

Starting at the door of each room, I work my way around the outside edge, checking in all the nooks and crannies along the way. As I move through each room, I take with me three boxes: a give away box, a put away box and a throw away box. Ahhh...make that four - add a don't know box. When I find things that are too good to throw out, into the give-away box they go. I do have some words of caution concerning this box: don't take anything out of the give away box once you've put it in and don't wait for the perfect time or the perfect person to give it to. Get rid of it right away. You'll be glad you shared!

Procrastination will take many forms when it comes to this job of decluttering, so I cover all the bases with my don't know box. Those items I just can't part with right now, or I'm not sure where they go, are deposited directly into this box. Honestly, I drop them in there and don't give them another thought, or I'll be found wandering through the house aimlessly looking for a place to put them. Lengthy decisions and affectionately caressing each item makes it far more painful to part with - trust me, this box speeds up the entire process.

I go through my entire house using this system of parting with all unnecessary, space cluttering things I don't need any more. Out goes the stack of magazines I was saving for a good look one day, the old outdated vitamins and over the counter medications, and the old clothes I was dreaming of getting back into some ...hey, when I get down to that size, I'll deserve new ones! No sentiment here...I have to remind myself I don't need to save things to save my memories (not easy for someone who still has mementos from grade school). I have to admit some times parting with things hurts, but it is only temporary compared to the exhilarating feeling of freedom from clutter!

Clutter is a like a parasite - it receives food and shelter at our expense! We humans have been known to build on extra space to house it - garages are a prime example (how often are just cars found in a garage?). Clutter multiplies faster than fruit flies on a ripe banana. Did you know clutter ranks near the top in chief causes of stress? We ought to take it seriously, it is at the root of many problems.

When reorganizing the things you've decided to keep, check your space and budget limitations. I've had to invest in shelves and storage containers (which really go on sale after Christmas I've noticed). Then I decide what will be kept in each room I'm working in. For example, "The bedroom closet shelf will only be used for blankets, bed linens and personal items. The family room will be used for toys and games, and the shelves for school books." Having these guidelines will help you in the sorting process. When I know the function of an area, it enables me to make quicker and more accurate decisions regarding what goes and what stays.

Set a time limit. Putting a date when I plan to be finished really helps me accomplish my goals. Be realistic, though, if you haven't done this before or it's been a while, this will take some time. Make a plan and begin right away, whether you think you are ready or not. Excuses will abound: I don't have enough time. My energy level is too low. I don't feel like doing this. My house is too small. My house is too large. My family is too messy! Don't give in to these excuses or let them discourage you. You are the only one who can make it happen. A poem by Edgar A. Guest called "It Couldn't Be Done" really says it all:

Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied,
That "maybe it couldn't" but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

That's determination! "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13. And that will ensure success!

Have a blessed day,
Lori

No comments: